160g wagyu beef
80g Sushi rice, cooked and seasoned
8 tsp oscietra caviar
4 tsp fresh rings of spring onion
8 pinches freshly grated Ginger
8 sheets nori
For the dressing
2 tsp Wasabi, or wasabi paste
6 tsp Soy sauce
freshly cracked black pepper
4 tsp ponzu sauce
1. Finely chop the beef into a tartar consistency with a sharp knife. You must include the fat, as this has a lot of flavour.
2. Finely slice the spring onion into fine rings, only using the fresh green tops and set aside. Grate the peeled ginger into a smooth fine paste and set aside.
3. To make the dressing, grate the fresh wasabi to a paste and mix this with the ponzu and soy sauces.
4. Cut the nori sheets into small strips about 3cm by 15cm.
5. Begin with a damp hand and ball your cooked rice into 8 even thumb-sized balls.
6. Mix the chopped wagyu beef with 5-6 teaspoons of the dressing. Add black pepper and sea salt to taste.
7. Wrap your rice balls in nori sheets, leaving a hole at the top to be filled with the wagyu. Use a grain of soft rice to stick the nori strips together.
8. Fill the hole with the seasoned wagyu beef, and top this with a dollop of caviar, a pinch of spring onion and a dot of fresh ginger.
9. Serve the wagyu beef gunkan with some freshly grated wasabi and a shallow dish of soy sauce for dipping.
Order fresh Kobe Beef at http://eprimecuts.com/