2. The U.S. economy would lose over $80 billion in added value contributed by all red meat (primarily beef and pork).
3. The country’s economy would lose $4.08 billion in export value from beef alone.
4. You’d miss out on a protein that’s only 154 calories per 3-oz serving that’s an excellent or good source of ten essential nutrients including: zinc, iron and B vitamins. A 3-oz serving of beef constitutes 10 percent of the calories in a 2,000 calorie diet, yet supplies 10 percent of the Daily Value for ten essential nutrients.
5. You’d need to eat 670 calories of peanut butter, 374 calories of black beans, or 236 calories of raw soy tofu cubes to get the same amount of protein found in a 3-oz serving of lean beef at 150 calories.
6. Iron deficiency would become an even bigger problem in the U.S. than it already is—iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency worldwide and in the United States alone, a significant number of girls aged 9‐16 (75 percent) and adult women (50 percent) consume less than the recommended amounts of iron. Beef is the most readily available and easily absorbed source of iron in the American diet. A 2005 analysis showed beef eaters were 26 percent more likely to meet nutrient requirements for iron than non-beef eaters.
7. The majority of grasslands, wetlands and other wildlife habitat would be at risk or lost. Open space—primarily managed by cattlemen—provides habitat for 75% of America’s wildlife. Ranchers play an important role in the survival of native species. Cattle grazing plays an important role in maintaining the wetland habitat necessary for some threatened species, such as the Greater Sage-Grouse in the West or the California tiger salamander and red-legged frog.
8. About 587 million acres of U.S. land—most of which is unsuitable for raising food crops—would go to waste. Grazing cattle more than doubles the area of land that can be used to raise high quality food. As the population continues to grow we must make wise use of available land to raise nutrient rich food like beef.
9. Lady Gagawouldn’t have a Meat Dress to wear.
10. The summer grilling season—Fourth of July fireworks, Memorial Day picnics, Labor Day weekend barbecues and ball games— just wouldn’t be the same with tofu burgers.